Sunday, January 23, 2011

Women Exercising at Battle Creek Sanitarium




I had my first swim at the historic Intramural Sports Building at the University of Michigan, and was so inspired by the grandiose feeling of the building and maze of bricked hallways that when I got home I searched for further information about the history of the building and its activities. I am still searching for more info, but I did discover these lovely photos through the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library. Each picture was taken in approximately 1890/1900. The first is the Women's fitness class, and the second the Men's, both taken at the Battle Creek Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. Not necessarily related to the Intramural Sports Building, but certainly of interest. I also learned that the Intramural Sports Building, when first open, was only for men. Must learn more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment